Jun 9, 2009

Culinary School: Quick Breads


I learned today that quick bread basically means cake. Be still my beating heart. Literally. I ate more sugar today than I have since 2005 (the end of my binge/starve career). I feel like I've smoked crack (not that I've ever smoked crack, but I'm sure this is what it must feel like). I can't stop moving my legs and am talking too loud. Maybe I should go for a run...luckily I'm massaging my dear friend, Marnie. That should calm me down.

After our baking, we began our tasting with popovers (an anomaly and not a quick bread at all). Popovers are a very eggy batter that puff up with steam in the center, kind of like a souffle. Delish, I had one quarter with no jam. I knew what was coming.



Blueberry streusel muffins. Brown sugar in the batter as well as the topping. Amazing, slightly gooey from the fresh berries. I had two small bites, and few stray streusel clumps (that's the best part).


Buttermilk biscuits. Reyna and I made these. She had plain, and mine had thyme and Parmesan. They were alright, kinda heavy in my opinion, but I also had food poisoning on my honeymoon and the last thing I ate before it set in was a biscuit, so...



Baby scones. Money. Light, crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside with a touch of vanilla. It was like the best parts of a cookie and a biscuit rolled together and baked with love. I have one baby scone.



Corn bread. This has always been a "legal" treat for me, so although it was awesome, I was happy with two small bites.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy what sugar can do to a person? I haven't cut it out completely (yet) but I eat so little of it that when I DO have something with sugar in it I go crazy. Even fruit is a bit much for me.

    I had white wine one night and got sick, and now I can't drink white wine. It tastes like puke to me. I never knew that this happened to other people.

    Check out a book called "Sugar Blues" if you haven't already. It's great. I haven't read the whole thing but I keep meaning to order it used on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the reason you didn't bring any samples with you...? I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete