May 24, 2009

Amandine For Lunch On "Vacation" Day


We have been meaning to get to this cafe for at least a year. We don't get out much. I always have anxiety going to a new restaurant because:
  • What if the service is bad?
  • What if the food is bad?
  • What if it's too crowded?
  • What if there's no seating?
  • What if it's too loud?
  • What if the bathroom is dirty?
  • What if there's no parking?
Today was no exception, and I was already bent out of shape because we're supposed to be vacationing at home, which means no working. In fact, husband just did a mini-intervention because I'm blogging while we're watching game 3 Orlando vs. Cleveland (GO Cleveland!). I told him I get too nervous just watching the game and blogging is SO not working. He bought it, I think.

So yeah, I'm not good at relaxing and so we arrived at Amandine and I was overwhelmed by the people and the hurry-up-and-read-the-giant-chalkboard-fast-and-order-at-the-counter-so-the-next-person-can-order vibe. Don't cry, Mandy, just focus.

I got distracted by the gorgeous pastry.




Here is the view from our little tablette (too small to be called a table). The good news is that it was not too noisy and the food was delicious!


I had a onion and Gruyere omelet on a baguette with Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar, served with cornishons and a green salad. MONEY! The bread was perfect: just enough chew, soft but with plenty of substance. I will be coming to buy bread here (it's walking distance). Eating the entire thing was probably not necessary, as it's almost 7:30pm and I'm not in the least bit hungry, but that's me. If it's good, I will finish it.

This was an example of a perfect sandwich for me. The lovely bread with amazing texture, the creamy softness of the egg and Gruyere, the sweetness of the caramelized onion cut with the pungent Dijon and tang of the vinegar. I'm going to try this at home with egg whites...



Husband was decisive husband, he know before we even arrived that he wanted French toast. It did not disappoint, although he said it was drier than "American" French toast, which to him means soaked in egg wash for a longer period of time.

The quality of the brioche, however put this over the top and he said he would definitely have it again.

Moral of this story? If you're going to eat bread, have the best and enjoy. There is nothing like enjoying fresh bread made onsite. Way special.

Sunday workout: 60 minute Yoga Glo HD online yoga class. It's great! We pay $18 per month for unlimited online AND studio classes. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment