Mar 11, 2009

Husband Tries Conscious Eating


Husband's dinner:  green salad with homemade vinaigrette (one of the things I learned this week), bisonloaf, potato chips and apple crumbler for dessert.


Husband and I are listening to Geneen Roth's audio book "When Food Is Food And Love Is Love".  It's about conscious eating (i.e. eating when you are hungry, stopping when you have had enough, eating what your body wants, eating without distraction, eat with the intention of having someone witness you, etc.).  This scares the holy crap out of me.  My time with my food and the television is the most blissful thing I experience in my day (I know, kind of sad).  Husband is trying it.  Here he is getting ready to eat and NOT watch TV.


Here is the TV, clearly not on.  I hung out with him while he ate his food, which took him twice as long to eat (he was done in 22 minutes, and we guesstimated his usual feed time is about 10-15 minutes...he's an inhaler).  

After he was done, I ate my dinner while we watched Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist.  Terrible, we aborted at 45 minutes in, which is how long it takes me to eat a meal while watching TV.  Yes, I would be the slow eater in the family.

Anyone out there a conscious eater?

2 comments:

  1. not me! i definitely inhale my food... one time i actually finished my subway sammie before the husband got his drink and sat down (shameful, i know).

    however, i come from a traditional italian family, so food is really important to my relationships. eating with someone is sharing and enjoying life with them.

    how's your homemade vinaigrette? i can't stand most store-bought dressings, so i usually make my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! Homemade vinaigrette is the most genius thing. It takes three seconds. Goodbye gloppy bottled dressings forevah!!! Any low-fat dressing recipes, Ms. V? xoxo

    ReplyDelete