Feb 25, 2009

Split Pea and Spinach Soup


New recipe alert.  This was fun.  I forgot how much I like to make soup.  And now my soups will be elevated to a whole new level when I learn how to make stock in culinary school next week (yeah, I kind of know how to do it from watching my mother and, like, 800 food shows, but it's different when you actually use your hands and your full brain power to produce something yourself).

I sauteed some garlic and onion in a bit of olive oil, added two kinds of sausage (turkey kielbasa and chicken apple sausage), chopped tomatoes, chopped spinach and a couple ancho chilies.  Added 1 pound of split peas and 6 cups of water and a couple scoops of chicken soup base.  Simmer for 1 hour.  Lovely.

Husband was served the split pea with a green salad topped with pulled chicken (for extra protein, he's always worried about getting enough protein...) and a few salt and pepper potato chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment