Jan 16, 2010

Frozen Chocolate Souffle with Hot Fudge Sauce




Frozen chocolate souffle ingredients.  Love how simple!


 


First, I whipped most of the cream into soft peaks, which I forgot to photograph, because I'm a spaz.

Next, I melted the rest of the cream and the chocolate.


 


Thick.


 


This is the eggs, egg yolks and sugar, which I whipped over a pot of simmering water. 
This cooks the eggs, making a sort of pudding.


 


I folded the melted chocolate into the egg and sugar mixture,
then I folded in the whipped cream.


 


The finished product goes into a bowl I prepared with foil to hold the mixture in.
Well, that was the plan, but I ran out of mixture before I ran out of bowl. 

So, this souffle looks more like a mousse.  Also, I tasted it and it's VERY chocolately and not very sweet.  I'm going to suggest to my clients that they top it with sweetened whipped cream before they add the hot fudge (which I made extra sweet to contrast). 

I'm not a chocolate girl, so I'm a bad judge.  I hope it's good!


 


Hot fudge sauce ingredients.  Again, v simple.


 


Scalding the milk, which means bringing almost to a boil, but not quite.








Add scalding milk to the cocoa, sugar, flour and salt mixture, again over a pot of simmering water.

Whisked until it thickened by about 30%.


 


I removed from the heat, added butter and vanilla and put into some Tupperware
so it will be good to go tomorrow.



Frozen Chocolate Souffle

2 cups heavy or whipping cream, divided
1 Tablespoon vanilla
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
2 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar

Cut a piece of aluminum foil long enough to go around a 6-cup souffle dish with a little overlap.
Fold it in half the long way and wrap it around the dish to form a collar that extends about 4 inches above the rim. Tape or tie foil in place.

Set the prepared dish in the freezer while preparing the dessert. Whip 1 1/2 cups of the cream until it holds a soft peak. Refrigerate.

Bring the remaining 1/2 cup of cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk the cream, then the vanilla, into the chocolate. Set aside to cool.

Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a small pan of simmering water and whisk constantly until the eggs are hot,
increased in volume and thickened (this takes only 2 or 3 minutes). Use an electric mixer to whip until cooled to room temperature, another 2 or 3 minutes.

Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, then fold in the whipped cream. Pour into prepared dish and place in freezer.
Cover with plastic wrap after the outside has frozen, about 2 hours after it is placed in the freezer.

To serve, unwrap the dessert and remove the collar. Wipe the outside of the dish clean with a damp cloth if necessary
and use 2 spoons to serve pieces of the frozen souffle -- don't try to cut it into wedges. Serves 12 to 16.

Hot Fudge Sauce

1 cup sugar

1 cup cocoa

2 tablespoons flour

pinch of salt

1 cup boiling water or scalding milk

1 tablespoon of butter

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Combine sugar, cocoa, salt, and flour in a bowl or pot over a double boiler.
Bring water or milk to a boil. Gradually add hot liquid to sugar mixture.
Stir constantly until mixture thickens.

Once it has reached the desired thickness, remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.

Serve this concoction with whipped cream, maybe some chopped peanuts, strawberries, caramel sauce...go bananas!

No comments:

Post a Comment