Jul 11, 2009

Vegan Baking Goddess Project Begins



As you know, I just finished culinary school (pics of the final final are coming, I promise). I loved it. One of my dreams is to have a vegan bakery. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money going to pastry school because I would be learning how to bake with conventional ingredients and since vegan baking is a whole other ball of wax, I've decided to home school myself.

How will I do this? I bought a beautiful cookbook by Babycakes founder Erin McKenna which I am reading cover to cover and making each and every recipe, in order, one per week. My hope is by the time I'm done I will be a confident, yummy vegan baking goddess who has created her own recipes to sell to the masses. And, of course, I will be documenting my journey, so stay tuned!






Above is the result of my first baking "class"; apple cinnamon muffins. I can think of nothing more comforting than a warm oven bursting with the smells of vanilla and cinnamon.



This was my lunch, plus some broccoli. I did make one substitution; brown rice flour instead of Gluten-Free baking flour. I did this because the Whole Foods I went to was out of said flour and I'm inpatient.

The result? Pretty good! Very moist, very sweet and spicy with cinnamon and nutmeg. I will definitely try making these again with the correct flour as they were a bit dense and sort of fell apart. A glorious mess they were.

These are healthy but not exactly low calorie at about 340 calories each. Hmmm. All good.

1 comment:

  1. awesome. if you need a vegan baking friend, hit me up girl! do you have vegan cucpcakes take over the world, yet? great cupcake recipe book for you to play with.

    ReplyDelete