I am starting a weekly offering to my lovelies: send me a recipe or dish that you think you cannot have because of an allergy or the indulgence factor. I will work my magic and give it back to you with the flavor intact in a simply lighter package. Each month I will compile the converted recipes from the previous month and send them to you via newsletter. Sound good?
Give 'em to me! firstname.lastname@example.org
I asked husband what he would like the first conversion dish to be, and he replied "Mac and Cheese" like I should have known. Right on. This one could very well end up being vegan, since husband is not a lactose fan (I may have to sneak in some of the real thing).
I am going to convert the following recipe, which is from Alexandra Guarnaschelli. Thanks, Alex. I'm sure it's delish.
- 5 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/2 quart heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly crushed with the back of a knife
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
I will follow up with my version, with pics of course. By the way, what's your favorite mac and cheese? Mine, hands down, is Zingerman's. I will be the first to admit, sometimes there is no substitute for the real thing.