Jun 27, 2009

I Will Give You Healthy (Yet Amazing) Mac And Cheese



I am starting a weekly offering to my lovelies: send me a recipe or dish that you think you cannot have because of an allergy or the indulgence factor. I will work my magic and give it back to you with the flavor intact in a simply lighter package. Each month I will compile the converted recipes from the previous month and send them to you via newsletter. Sound good?

Give 'em to me! mandyscopy@gmail.com

I asked husband what he would like the first conversion dish to be, and he replied "Mac and Cheese" like I should have known. Right on. This one could very well end up being vegan, since husband is not a lactose fan (I may have to sneak in some of the real thing).

I am going to convert the following recipe, which is from Alexandra Guarnaschelli. Thanks, Alex. I'm sure it's delish.

Ingredients

  • 5 cups water
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 quart heavy cream
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly crushed with the back of a knife
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere
  • Freshly ground white pepper
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar
  • Worcestershire sauce, to taste
  • Hot sauce, to taste
  • 1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
Serves 2

I will follow up with my version, with pics of course. By the way, what's your favorite mac and cheese? Mine, hands down, is Zingerman's. I will be the first to admit, sometimes there is no substitute for the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment