Apr 19, 2009

Lamb Stew Lunch


It was kinda weird making lamb stew on the hottest day of the year thus far (90 degrees in Santa Monica), but husband had a craving, and he doesn't get cravings too often.  So he got a big bowl of stew finished with fresh cilantro and served with salt and pepper potato chips (no carbs in the stew).


I make this with a pressure cooker, which is a bit scary at first, but is a total time saver that I love for making stewy and chili type concoctions.

I always use whatever lamb looks best at the store, so this batch was cut up loin and a few shanks.  I start by lightly browning a one chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped carrot and 1/2 cup chopped celery.  

When those have slightly softened, I added the lamb, letting it brown a bit on a couple sides.  Then I added 1 teaspoon cumin, a generous sprinkling of sea salt and freshly ground pepper.  Lastly, I added a large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 chipotle pepper for spice.

I pop the lid on and once it comes to temperature (which I know because my lid makes a little whistling noise and I can see some steam), it takes 40 minutes.  Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment