Mar 5, 2009

Turkey Burger


Husband's turkey burger with melted tofu cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup, mustard and mayo on a low-carb English muffin.  Served with steamed veggies and tater tots.

I am being a very bad blogger.  Not only am I not blogging every day (or every other day), I'm not taking pictures of my own food because I am still embarrassed that I eat the same five things for virtually every meal.  Worst of all, I keep forgetting to take my darn camera to culinary school!

Here's a recap of week two:

Learned how to make brown and white stock (classically both are veal; brown you roast the bones, white you do not roast the bones), chicken stock, fish stock and vegetable stock.  Did you know the difference between a broth and a stock is broth is made from bones AND meat; stock is bones only.

Learned how to make "mother" sauces; bechamel and veloute.  These are roux (equal parts of clarified butter and flour) based sauces, bechamel you add milk, veloute you add stock.  Bechamel is what makes macaroni and cheese swoon worthy, and that is what was to be our lunch, along with roasted asparagus and a green salad.  

I ate exactly 5 penne pasta pieces, along with some asparagus and salad, and I wasn't hungry again until dinner.  That's how rich the mac and cheese was.  Yes people, restaurant food tastes better than home cooked food because everything is drowned in butter.  So, where are we going next?

No comments:

Post a Comment