Mar 31, 2009

Culinary School: Raw Fruit And Vegetables


I'm showing you dessert first.  I did not get to enjoy any of this gorgeous seasonal fruit as I wasn't fast enough.  Thanks to our guru, chef Carol Cotner Thompson, I got this shot.



Today's class was all about fresh produce.  The short version is know where your food comes from.  Buy organic, and if you can't buy organic, buy local.  Go to the farmer's market.  Too bad I'm such an ugly American and can't be bothered with the farmer's market for any number of selfish and lazy reasons, such as:
  • parking
  • crowds
  • lugging around heavy produce
  • cash only
  • complete panic when what I think I want is not available, and what I hadn't planned to want looks so amazing I should get it but then what if I don't use it and waste it...

Oh me, maybe I should just start with checking out the market without feeling like I should do a week's worth of shopping there.  Moderation.  It's an option.


Classic Greek salad (that means no lettuce, folks).  It was very good.


Arugula and fennel salad with Parmesan.  Good, clean salad.


Krista (gorgeous Beverly Hills Mother-Of-Three) and I made the warm spinach salad:  spinach, basil and shaved Parmesan tossed in a warm dressing consisting of olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, sliced garlic, pine nuts and fried pancetta.  Nummy.

My other favorite (not pictured) was the apple/walnut salad with baby greens and a maple dressing.  It was like dessert salad, but it totally worked.  Craveable, for shiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment