Apr 21, 2009

Culinary School: Fish


I'm not much of a fish person. It's alright, but is certainly not something I crave and I don't think I would ever be in danger of overeating it. Nevertheless, I was glad to learn more about it as husband is a big fish fan. Most importantly, we learned that the best way to get good fish is to find a fish purveyor you trust. You can also educate yourself on which fish to enjoy and which should be avoided here.

Above is cedar smoked salmon fillet with parsley caper sauce. It was cooked on the plank (which was soaked in water previously) in a hot oven and was very tasty; salmon was moist and the cedar flavor was subtle and pleasant. The sauce rocked; parsley, capers, shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Totally making that for husband. Soon.



Roasted tuna with garlic and sauce piperade. Again, the sauce was awesome. Tomatoes, peppers (sweet and hot), onions and garlic cooked until soft and buttery. It was really simple but super tasty; I would eat it with pasta. The tuna was tuna-ey; not my thing (but apparently semi-colons ARE my thing tonight).



Sole a La Meuniere. Sauteed sole with a white wine and lemon butter sauce with roasted potatoes. This was mine. Yeah, the potatoes were good. I learned that delicate fish and a not-hot-enough pan equals disaster. The fish fell apart and when we turned the heat up, the fat and the fish was crackling and I was awkward and burning myself...embarrassing. Chef Carol bailed me out and was very kind.


Smoked trout with scrambled eggs and toast. The smokiness really came through and made me feel like I was camping. Although the trout was cooked perfectly, I really just wanted to eat the toast.




Red snapper in Panang curry. Money. This was my favorite dish of the day. With coconut milk in the sauce and the fish was cooked in the sauce, which made it very delectable. Even the rice was super tasty, and I'm not a rice girl. This is one fish I could potentially crave.

Let me know if you'd like any recipes.

Workout: 75 minutes flow yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment