Mar 29, 2009

Chicken Soup With Corn Pasta



I've been feeling guilty for weeks because I have not made stock, which was one of the first things I learned in culinary school (and it is the base of so many dishes and I should, should, should!).  I didn't make stock, but I did make chicken broth (the difference is stock is made with bones that just have a tiny bit of meat on them, whereas broth is meat and bones) and it turned out great.  

Here's the deal:  take a chicken (or any part thereof; I used drumsticks with skin-fat = flavor) plop it in some water.  Add some carrots, celery, onion and whatever herbs you dig with chicken (I used thyme because I had in on hand).  Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about two hours.  Take out the chicken and strain the broth and discard the veggies and herbs (all the flavor has been cooked out).  I did not season mine so the broth would be neutral for whatever recipe...note that the broth only lasts a few days in the fridge, so freeze whatever you won't use right away and you have homemade goodness at the ready.

For the soup, I removed the skin and took the meat off the bones.  I sauteed some green onion, carrot and celery in a tiny bit of butter.  I added some frozen spinach and the broth and once it was simmering I added the chicken and some corn flour macaroni.  Cooked for another 10 minutes and done!  I put bread and some shaved Romano cheese on mine; husband had some tofu Parmesan on his.


No comments:

Post a Comment